‎"For some reason, I've always linked the idea of being cultured with the notion of having class. I realize they're two separate entities, yet in my mind they're inexorably tied." - Jennifer Lancaster

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Purple Spirit

     As many of you know, today is a day that is dedicated to raise awareness against gay bullying. It's called Spirit Day and hundreds of thousands of people across the United States agreed to wear purple today as a sign of solidarity for those who have been bullied and those who also have been bullied to the point where they have committed suicide. There have been 6 gay-bullied related deaths in the U.S. in the past month or so. If that isn't a wake up call then I don't know what is.

     Last night, I was having coffee with a friend of mine and she told me something that a friend of hers had told her, "Why aren't gay people completely out? I mean, it's not like there's anything wrong with it and everybody likes them." Sure! There's nothing wrong with being gay but there is more to it that what meets the eye. Not everyone is as comfortable in their own skin as others are.

     Many of you may know I was a victim myself of constant and brutal bullying for years and I find myself in a position where I feel an urge to speak up; speak up for those people I see myself in. Those who others find it easier to join the gang and make fun of instead of doing the thing that's truly harder and defending them.

     As I see it, today is not only a day to raise awareness against gay bulling but bullying across the board. It's a day to help young people to help themselves. It's a day to give them a chance to be able to be themselves.

I pledge my time, talent and effort to do as much as I can to help reduce bullying across the board.
I vow to wear purple to day.
I vow to speak up.

What about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment